Friday, June 24, 2011

Teas and Dysphagia/Anorexia

As you can see in the title, I've been having dysphagia (which is difficulty swallowing) and anorexia (which is loss of appetite, anorexia nervosa is the eating disorder) really bad recently. I can barely eat anything now, without gagging, even for hours after (I hate throwing up, so to me it's mind over matter, just like with my syncope). I made a little chart on how my weights have fluctuated, which is a lot, in the past few weeks for you guys to see. My mom thinks that I'm "too skinny" just because my hip bones and ribs stick out  a bit, but to tell everyone the truth, I like it  (as in being small). I used to have a lot of problems with my weight (and health too) when I was younger, so now I feel better being smaller.




But I do have good news, I think I might have scleroderma, I'm 20% more likely to get it because I'm part Choctaw Native American (among other tribes) and being female puts me at 4 times more likely too. I don't have anything wrong with my skin (besides eczema) so I would have to have Systemic Sclerosis sine Scleroderma or Limited cutaneous scleroderma. But I do fit a lot of the symptoms, now my problem is to get my doctor to test for it! 


Anywho, my dad and I went to this health foods store last Saturday to get me some teas (raspberry leaf, ginger, stomach ease stuff) and some other stuff (if you want to see the whole list it's here) like gummy vitamins and protein bars. I tried this one strawberry protein shake today and it was nasty! It tasted like straight up chalk! We went to Walmart too, where I got a Disney Princess coloring pad. You guys should have seen some of the peoples faces in there! They probably thought I was crazy. As of now I'm almost done with Ariel, so I'll post a picture when I'm done.


I'm still behind in homeschool, but I did get a whole book of Bible done today! Only 3 more of those to go! But then I have German and history to do. But other than that I've just been watching TV, mainly stuff with mummies/Egypt or medical shows (like Trauma Life in the ER, not dramas). Now onto the questions...


Rhianne's question: How do you explain what is wrong with you when people generally want to know? I generally say I have a type of dysautonomia, which messes up my autonomic nervous system and that the ANS is responsible for unconscious actions. It depends on who I'm talking to though, if it's one of my classmates I'll say something like that, but I'll go into more detail for a doctor or someone.


Hannah's question:What is your favorite song to listen to when you are in a low place with your POTS?  I listen to a lot of music, but I'll have to give you guys my top 5: 
1) An Deiner Seite (By Your Side in English) by Tokio Hotel 
3) We Are The Champions by Queen 
4) Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole 
5) Smile by Michael Jackson 
I have so many more, I'm going to make a POTS playlist for my iPod.


Logei's question: Do clowns freak you out? Not really, unless it's in a horror film or something (which I hate!).


Erin's question: Do you girls or anyone use shower chairs? If you look down on one of my previous posts, I had a picture of the one that I'm getting. But as of now I just sit the whole time in the shower.


My question (it's random): What do you guys want to do when you grow up/graduate? And how do you think dysautonomia will affect your choice? I wanted to be an OB/GYN, but now I'm thinking of being a neurologist with specialty in the ANS.

No comments:

Post a Comment